Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dormant

I've been rather dormant lately. To catch anyone who cares up to speed, we spent a week in WA looking for housing last week. We started in the area we thought we would ultimately be living. We had a great realtor. She was wonderful to work with, and so nice to take us around in her van that had a dvd player in it for the kids. We looked at least 25 houses....You might be thinking about 20 too many? I think it was good to see a lot, it definitely showed us what we want and don't want. On the other hand, we may have become a little snobby towards the end. We got it narrowed down to two houses. Both of which I was really "wowed" by. One of course more than the other, but both really nice.

Then Wednesday happened. We had lunch with my former boss from years and years ago in my hometown. We talked, we laughed, we caught up, and she sort of offered me a job. Her currant assistant is leaving the company to get married and will be moving to be with her husband who is in the Navy and stationed in California.

Wow.

I was not expecting that.

She said she had some exciting news to share...I was thinking more along the lines of, "hey, I'm going to be a grandmother" type news. (Which she's not)

I'm definitely interested....but on the other hand, it's a full time position, and I don't know if I'm ready to do full time yet again. What about the kids? Summer and after school? They're used to me being there. I like being home....but I might like to use my brain again also. The extra money would obviously be beneficial.

After lunch that day we were scheduled to look at a few homes in my hometown also, just to see if anything piqued our interest. Unfortunately there are hardly any options for our price range there. It's really frustrating. To say the least.

Hubby showed me the house he really liked...I unfortunately was a little underwhelmed by it. :( I had really high hopes....especially from seeing the pictures. We didn't really see anything else that was terribly interesting. I was really disappointed by the price range issue.

So now we, or I guess I should say I, have this huge delima. To take the job or to not.

Living in my hometown means an hour commute each way for hubby. Granted, I know people do it. It's only 15 minutes longer than the commute he had here. But that's 2 hours out of every work day. Not to mention the price of gas. I don't know if it would be worth it. I have to make a decision by Friday. We have to get some kind of ball rolling, or we'll be living on the street!

How the hell did this get turned around on me?? This wasn't my gig....I was going along for the ride. Now all of a sudden this giant life decision is up to me. WTF?

If I don't, will I regret it? Probably. If it doesn't work out and I would quit for some reason, then the commute would become a problem. It doesn't make financial sense to live there if I don't work. So, if I do, I'll have to settle for a house I'm not really that interested in. I realize it's just a place to lay your head, but it's also a huge chunk of change to not love it. A house is just a house though right? It's the people in it that matter more. Which I know. Really. I do. Forgive me, I guess I'm a little more vain than I should be.

I realize I'm talking to myself here....I'm trying to work it out in my head....I'll go ponder some more.

No comments: