Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's Hard to Say Goodbye

It's hard to say goodbye to something you love. It's hard to say goodbye, when it's the end of an era, so to speak. It's hard to say goodbye when someone is passing away. Although I would rather think of that particular situation as more of a "see you later."

Yesterday was tough.

It was long.

It was exhausting.

There were tears.

There was sadness.

It was much harder on the kids than I ever expected.

I pulled it together as much as I could as I handed over the keys to the new owners. We said our goodbyes, and walked to the door, backing out of the driveway for the very last time. I coudn't stand there and make small talk...it wouldn't come out. As fast as I pulled it together, I was quickly losing it again.

It's not the house that makes the home, it's the people. But this was, and still is, a great house. In a great neighborhood, with exceptional neighbors. It was our first home. I loved it from top to bottom. And once we had to say our final goodbye, it was glaringly apparent what we have to leave behind in order to begin our new chapter in life.

One foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

No comments: