Friday, March 18, 2011

Is it just me?

Am I the only one in the world with zero sense of direction?? I used the maps app on my iphone today...and I still got lost. What the hell is that about? Geeze. To my defense it kept sending me in the wrong direction...but on the other hand...I couldn't really figure out how to use the thing right. UGH!

Hello, I'm 31 and technically challenged. It's a sad situation! I get so frustrated. I have this ridiculous fear of being lost...which stems from actually being lost when I was younger. (That's another story) It's really a paralyzing fear. After the fact I can see how silly it is, and how silly I must look - but in the moment. WOW. It's what I assume to be much like a panic attack.

I freak out.

It's not cute.

I'm not proud.

It sucks.

What also sucks is the fact that I am holding myself back by it. And I know it. I don't drive where I'm not familiar with. If I don't have a clue where something is, please for the love of God, do not ask me to find it. If someone is with me and can give me directions I'm good to go. I know it's crazy - trust me I know....it's not like I'm going to fall off the planet! Where does my mind think I'll end up?

This fear of mine goes back to when I was younger and learning to drive. The only place I was ever allowed to drive was in town. Never out of town. My hometown is small. Very small. I wasn't allowed to drive on the highway either. I learned that in my drivers ed class.

Of course when I got my license I did go where I wanted....but I limited myself. When I got a job at Starbucks I had to travel to the nearest store, which was an hour away. I don't think I have ever been so nervous over something so silly. I was so excited for the job...but completely dreaded driving to and from. I'd like to say I've gotten better over the years....but not really so much. In a couple of months I'm supposed to drive up to Columbus to chaperon Zack's field trip. I didn't want to ride on the bus...plus I'm taking Taylor too, so I thought I would drive. I was secretly hoping Hubby would be home and we could make a cool weekend out of it....but no such luck.

Time to find some big girl panties and deal....at least that's what I keep telling myself.

No comments: