Friday, April 15, 2011

The Dentist

Yesterday I went to the dentist. I hate going to the dentist. I have always hated it. I was not blessed with a pretty mouth full of teeth. I don't know how common it is, but I had duplicates. Just about 2 of everything....needless to say it led to LOTS of dental work when I was younger. Back then I don't even know how common pediatric dentistry was. I know it's not something our little town had. The dentist I had the misfortune of seeing was not that great with children.

I had a husband and wife team who had their own practice. One day I had to have some teeth removed. I was pretty young. (This is one of those things you never forget). I don't remember the events leading up to it, but I had the wife working on me this day. I'm sure I had some laughing gas....I never really felt it worked that well. I felt everything and it hurt like hell! Anyway, the wife is working on me and whatever she was doing hurt. I had an adverse reaction to the pain, and I ended up kicking her. I didn't mean to start a fight or anything, lol...it was just a knee jerk reaction. She stopped, walked out and she never worked on me again. The feeling was mutual. I guess I can't blame her...but I was just a kid.

Thankfully I haven't had to have any teeth pulled in years. They do keep warning me about my wisdom teeth though. Apparently after 30 you are supposed to keep a close watch on them.

Great.

The top wisdom teeth are coming in sideways.

Awesome.

The dentist told me yesterday the problem is you don't want the good tooth next to the wisdom tooth to be adversely affected by it. Meaning...you might want to consider getting those out at some point before it becomes a real problem.

Even better.

I actually wanted to get these out when I was younger...like 10 years ago before I moved here. My parents didn't want to pay for it.

Thanks Mom and Dad.

To this day I'm always really nervous when I go to the dentist...even though they're just cleaning my teeth. I'm quite sure I will always be a nervous wreck. The good news in all this happens to be that I can proudly state that, in all of my 31 years, despite my jumbled mouth full of teeth, I have never ever had a cavity. :)

No comments: